October 19, 2010

I LOVE MY HAIR





I'm uncertain of how many or if any of you know this. But, Sesame Street did a skit with an African American puppet singing about the love she has for her hair. Some enjoyed it and some were offended. Personally, I thought that it was beautiful. Not only did she take pride in her different texture of hair but,this is the first black puppet to air on Sesame Street. A lot of times women of the African American race including myself will go the extra mile to do what we think is expected in today's society. We damage it with relaxers, hair dyes, excessive heat and plenty of other chemicals. We are brainwashed to believe that good hair is a necessity to society. Not. Your character shouldn't be based around your hair. However, I can't go without a super strength relaxer. 100lbs.later and shorter hair I'll look like Esther Rolle from Good Times.


The moral to this post is to recognize and rejoice that Sesame Street has introduced their first black puppet to the world without the long, bone straight hair other illustrators and toy manufacturers use to portray the little black girls. Also, recognize that our people meaning, "black people" have started a culture with our kinky, some short and some long, course, thick locks. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for visiting my site and may you be blessed abundantly.

1 comment:

  1. I thought this was beautiful. I'm surprised people were offended. I love how it brings up this topic. Those of us of the generation where light was right and pretty hair was long and european, indian, anything but what they had. Sesame street didn't do anything like this nor did most film and television. I could go on and on about this topic. Great post and at the end of the day the message is to LOVE YOURSELF FOR YOU!

    ReplyDelete

Intense Debate Comments